Purpose This program is a competitive paid 8 week summer internship program for tribal citizens attending college to gain working experience in the tribal government and economic development setting.
Where Job placements will be in various tribal offices in Dowagiac, Michigan. Possible placements include the following departments: Communications, Education, Finance, Mno Bmadsen, Health Services, Housing, Human Resources, Information Technology, Language and Culture, Natural Resources, Social Services, Tribal Court, Pokagon Fund, Pokagon Gaming Commission and Tribal Police.
When Monday, June 3, 2019–Friday, July 26, 2019. Usually 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Eligibility Pokagon citizens who will be continuing college in the fall and who have completed at least one semester (12 credits) by June 3, 2019. This can include dual/enrollment credit if students are 2019 high school graduates. Applicants must also be at least eighteen years old by June 3, 2019. Qualified applicants who have never been Pokagon Summer College interns or have never been Pokagon employees will be given first preference.
Please note, selected candidates must pass a background check and a pre-employment drug screening. Candidates will be contacted by our Human Resources Department to make arrangements to complete a background check and drug testing in Dowagiac immediately upon hire.
What is provided
- Housing Stipend up to $500/month (housing available at Southwestern Michigan College)
- Gasoline Stipend of up to $225/month
- Clothing Stipend $250 total
- Travel Assistance up to $500 through Special Request Funding
- Wage rates start at $12.00/hr
How to apply Interested citizens must complete the College Internship Application by April 20, 2019. Interested students should be prepared to upload supporting documents such as:
- Current college schedule
- Unofficial college transcript
If you have any questions or need assistance in the process please contact:
58620 Sink Road
Dowagiac, MI 49047
(269) 462-4294 (desk)
(269) 782-0985 (fax)
Please note, all materials must be received in the Department of Education by April 20, 2019 at 5 p.m. Late applications will only be considered if some positions are not filled. Candidates who meet the above eligibility requirements will be contacted for interviews by individual department directors after submitted materials are reviewed.
Important dates for the summer internship program
- Application due - April 20, 2019
- Phone interviewing and hiring will begin after materials are reviewed
- Background checks and drug testing will begin immediately after hiring
- Welcome Luncheon - Friday, May 31, 2019
- Program starts - Monday, June 3, 2019
- Last work day - Friday, July 26, 2019
If you have any questions or need assistance in the process please contact the Department of Education at (269) 783-2486 or firstname.lastname@example.org.