Elders Council seeking logo design
The Elders Council is holding a contest to create a logo for Pokagon Elders. The contest is open to all Pokagon artists. Designs may be whatever you feel represents the Elders of the Pokagon Band, but submissions must be an original work. With your submission please include your name, address, and phone number. Only one submission per person will be accepted. The official rules are:
The Elders Council reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend these rules or the contest.
This is a skill-based contest. The object of this contest is to create an original logo for the Elders Council. The winning design will be used by the Elders Council for various purposes, including screen printing on clothing. The winner of the contest will receive $500 cash.
STARTING AND ENDING DATES
This contest starts on April 1, 2017 and ends on May 1, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. (“Entry Period”). Designs received outside of the entry period will be disqualified.
ELIGIBILITY TO ENTER
The contest is open only to Pokagon Band citizens. Members of the Elders Council are not eligible to enter or win the contest.
Every design must meet all of the following:
- Be a drawing or graphic design;
- Include “Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians” and “Elders Council”;
- Incorporate traditional or cultural imagery; and
- Be an original work and not infringe on any intellectual property rights of any other person or entity.
USE OF ENTRY
By submitting a design, each person (or parent or legal guardian of a minor who submits a design):
- Represents, warrants and covenants that the design is an original work and does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any other person or entity;
- Grants, assigns and transfers to the Pokagon Band all rights, title and interests in and to the design of any nature whatsoever and acknowledges that the Pokagon Band may utilize the design without any restrictions, conditions or limitations;
- Agrees to be bound by these rules;
- Understands that he or she will not receive any compensation or credit for any use of the design, other than what is described in these rules;
- Agrees that any design submitted in violation of these rules will be disqualified;
- f. Agrees to indemnify and hold the Pokagon Band and its officials, employees, representatives and volunteers harmless from any and against all claims, expenses, losses, damages and liabilities of any nature whatsoever, which arise in connection with the contest or any infringement claims arising in connection with the design;
- Agrees that all decisions of the Pokagon Band in connection with the contest shall be final and binding;
- Agrees that these rules shall be construed and governed by the laws of the Pokagon Band;
- Consents to the personal jurisdiction of the Pokagon Band Tribal Court for any action arising in connection with the contest or these Rules and waives all objections to said venue;
- Agrees that nothing contained in these rules shall be construed to waive the sovereign immunity of the Pokagon Band; and
- If selected as the winner, agrees to sign any document required by these rules or which is necessary or convenient for the Pokagon Band to exercise any rights, title and interests which are granted, assigned or transferred above.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY
- All designs must be delivered to the Elders Council at Elders Hall by US mail, private courier or hand delivery at the following address:
Pokagon Band Elders Council
PO Box 180
53237 Townhall Road
Dowagiac, Michigan 49047
- Each person must include his or her name, address, and telephone number with the submission.
- Only one design per eligible person will be accepted and incomplete, illegible, or multiple Designs submitted by the same person will be disqualified.
SELECTION OF WINNER
The Elders Council will review all eligible designs and select one winner. The decision of the Elders Council is final and binding.
PRIZE AND NOTICE
The winning entry will receive $500 cash. The Elders Council will contact the winner. If the Elders Council is unable to contact the winner, then it may award the prize to another alternately selected winner. In order to receive the prize, the winner must sign and return within ten days of receipt, a Declaration and Release Form prepared by the Pokagon Band that confirms compliance with the rules, accepts the prize and releases and indemnifies the Pokagon Band from any liability and claims in connection with the contest. If the winner fails or refuses to sign and return the Declaration and Release, the Pokagon Band may award the prize to an alternately selected winner.
Trip Registration Procedure
Please be aware of the elders trip policy. Only elders are eligible to participate in trips. The spouse of an elder may accompany the elder on the trip, regardless of whether the spouse is a Pokagon citizen or an elder.
Please have this information ready
- Your name
- Your spouse's name
- Your address
- Your telephone number
- Your enrollment number
Michigan Indian Elders Association Conferences
The Pokagon Band is a member of Michigan Indian Elders Association (MIEA). Three times a year, in April, July and October, MIEA hosts conferences for member tribes' representatives.
To get more information on attending a MIEA conference, please review the MIEA trip policy and call Elders Hall at (269) 782-0765.