The primary functions of the Detective Bureau are the investigation of criminal activity, collection and preservation of evidence, and court room testimony. The Detective Bureau works closely with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as well as local law enforcement agencies to accomplish this goal. The Detective Bureau is highly dedicated and motivated in investigating and solving all reported criminal cases. Our goal is to provide professional and effective investigative services to the Pokagon Band citizenry as well as individuals who visit the Pokagon Band’s sovereign lands. This includes the apprehension and successful prosecution of criminal perpetrators, as well as the recovery and return of stolen property.
Complaint/Victim Follow Up Information
If you have filed a complaint or reported a crime to the Pokagon Tribal Police Department and wish to follow up in regards to your report, please contact the Police Officer who originally took the report. Provide the officer with the complaint number of the report you are referencing. Be prepared to give additional information about the incident to him/her as needed. S/He may refer you to the Detective Bureau for follow up, depending on the incident. Both the Patrol Division and the Detective Bureau can be reached at the main station (269) 782-2232.
Michael Slancik Detective Lieutenant
Tribal Detective Lieutenant Mike Slancik has been working for PTPD since 2012. He has over 23 years of law enforcement experience after retiring from the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety in 2012.
Detective Slancik has worked in several areas within law enforcement in his career:
- Patrol Public Safety Officer in all neighborhoods within Kalamazoo
- Field Training Officer for Patrol Officers and Detectives
- Certified Bomb Technician for Hazard Devices
- Undercover Investigator to include operations in narcotics/prostitution/murder for hire
- Traffic Enforcement Officer from patrol vehicle and motorcycle
- Pre-Employment Background Investigation Unit for Police and City Hall employees
- Kalamazoo Public Safety Officers Association First Vice President
- Major Crimes Detective specializing in conducting investigations of death, serious assaults, armed robbery, and bank robbery. Detective Lieutenant Slancik was awarded twice for being the lead investigator in two cold case homicides for his efforts in the investigations and successful prosecution.
Detective Slancik is highly skilled in the areas of:
- Courtroom Testimony and Preparation
- Digital-Audio-Vehicular-Pedestrian Surveillance
- Interview and Interrogation
- Criminal Case Management
- Internal Affairs Investigation
He hold a BS from Ferris State University and an associates degree from Delta College. Detective Lieutenant Slancik's Office is at the main station in Dowagiac. He can be reached at the above email, at the main station number (269) 782-2232, or on his cell phone at (269) 591-9625.
Justin Weber Officer
Detective Weber has been serving the Pokagon Tribal Police since 2013. Weber began his law enforcement career in 2005 and has served many agencies in Van Buren and Kalamazoo County.
He is currently assigned to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Violent Crimes Task Force, which investigates violent criminal offenses in Cass, Van Buren, and Berrien County. Detective Weber is a former SWAT Operator and has received advanced training in gangs and fraud investigations, crime scene and evidence collection, interview and interrogation, background and adjudications, and instructor training for police responses to active shooters.
Detective Weber holds a BS from Upper-Iowa University and an associate degree from Kalamazoo Valley Community College. He also served in Operation Enduring Freedom–Afghanistan as an ARMY Infantryman. He can be reached at the above email, at the main station number (269) 782-2232, or on his cell phone at (269) 783-9914.