Pokagon Band of Potawatomi
COVID-19 Emergency Assistance September Program Application
- Completed applications must be delivered to the Band's Department of Social Services located at: 58620 Sink Road, Dowagiac, Michigan 49047, or by email at CARES.EAP@pokagonband-nsn.gov, or by Fax 269-782-4295. No applications will be accepted after 5:00 pm on September 30, 2021.
- All required documentation must be submitted by October 15, 2021.
- COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program is governed by the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program Policy (“Policy”), copies of which are available at the Department of Social Services. The Policy shall control in the event of any conflict with this Application.
- An Applicant must: (1) be a Band Citizen or Non-Citizen Parent; (2) be at least 18 years of age; (3) have Increased Need or Job Loss Related Need; (4) have an adjusted gross income for 2020 that does not exceed, or have suffered a household income reduction in 2020, and it is Highly Unlikely that the person will have an adjusted gross income for 2021 that does not exceed: (i) $75,000 for Applicants who filed their 2020 federal income tax returns under “single” status, or are Highly Likely to file their 2021 federal income tax return under such status, as applicable; (ii) $112,500 for Applicants who filed their 2020 federal tax returns under “head of household” status, or are Highly Unlikely to file their 2021 federal income tax return under such status, as applicable; or (iii) $150,000 for Applicants who filed their 2019 federal tax returns under “married filing jointly” status, or are Highly Likely to file their 2021 federal income tax return under such status, as applicable; and (5) complete and return to the Department this application, along with all required documentation, including as set forth in the Policy, Exhibit A Schedule of Acceptable Documents.
- Assistance is limited and subject to available funding, not to exceed $1,500 per month, per household for either Increased Need or Job Loss Related Need.
- “Increased Need” means financial need arising from increased costs related to the Emergency, including without limitation, food, childcare, medical care, home office, cleaning supplies, personal protection equipment, education (such as having to purchase a laptop for remote learning), not previously purchased through another program, and funeral expenses. Increased Need does not and is not intended to replace funding under any Band program negatively impacted by the Emergency, including but not limited to the HEAP.
- The Applicant must provide documentation to prove Increased Need under this program. The following documents shall be acceptable to prove Increased Need under this Policy: Receipts, statements, and/or bills of sale evidencing payment.
- The Applicant must provide documentation to prove Increased Need caused by the COVID-19. The following documents shall be acceptable to prove Increased Need under this Policy: Receipts, statements, and/or bills of sale evidencing payment.
- “Job Loss Related Need” means financial need arising from employment interruption, job loss or reduced household income, including without limitation, difficulty in making mortgage or rent payments, utility payments, purchasing food, and paying for medical care, making car payments, paying for insurance and similar living expenses, all as a result of the Emergency.
- The Applicant must provide documentation to prove Job Loss Related Need caused by COVID-19. under this program. The following documents shall be acceptable to prove Increased Need under this Policy:
- Termination letter from employer, layoff letter from employer, pay statements evidencing reduction in hours or pay, or unemployment notices; and
- Receipts, statements, and/or bills of sale evidencing payment.
- An Applicant may apply for Assistance for both Increased Need and Job Loss Related Need in the same month, but Assistance will not be awarded for both Increased Need and Job Loss Related Need in the same month, rather for each month, the Department will award the higher amount for which the Applicant is eligible. For example, if for the same month, an Applicant applies for Increased Need in the amount of $500 and Job Loss Related Need of $1,500, any award would be limited to $1,500.
- Assistance shall only be provided for the period of September 1, 2021, through September 30, 2021, and Assistance shall not be provided for amounts accrued prior to September 1, 2021.
- Assistance shall not be used for or include expenses that have been or will be reimbursed under any federal program or any other Band program, or for damages covered by insurance.
- Applicants must have and retain a copy of all evidence in support of Increased Need and/or Job Loss Related Need, as applicable. Notwithstanding the above, the Director shall retain the authority to (1) require an Applicant to provide additional proof of eligibility under this Program; and (2) to extend documentation submission timelines when deemed necessary in his discretion.