Legal Aid

White decorative border
Department Menu

Legal Aid

Pokagon Band citizens can receive free legal aid.

“Michigan Legal Indian Services provided me last year with an estate planning. They made it layman’s terms that I could understand it. It was very efficient. We got it done in really good time, and I applaud them.”

-Martha McConnell

“She called me almost everyday to let me know where she was at. I would not hesitate to use her. She’s a great person to work with.”

-Jack Mix

Do you need advice or assistance with a legal issue? The Band has arranged for Michigan Indian Legal Services (MILS) and Indiana Legal Services (ILS) to provide free legal services to Pokagon citizens (and in some cases, spouses of Pokagon citizens) regarding certain types of legal issues:

  • Guardianships and Conservatorships
  • Power of Attorney (Medical and/or Financial)
  • Simple Wills
  • Real Estate Matters
  • Landlord Tenant Matters
  • General civil matter legal advice
  • Expungements (misdemeanor and low-level felony) [Indiana only]
  • Specialized Driving Permits [Indiana only]

For questions about Michigan or Pokagon Band law, contact Michigan Indian Legal Services (231) 947-0122.

For questions about Indiana law, contact Indiana Legal Services:
401 East Colfax, Suite 116
South Bend, Indiana
(574) 234-8121

Except for criminal matters in Pokagon Tribal Court, there are no asset or income restrictions for Pokagon Band citizens receiving this free legal service. Not all legal services provided include representation in court, in some instances the available legal services are limited to document review, document preparation, and/or providing legal advice.

Attorney Schedule

Currently, there is not a MILS attorney at the Community Center.  If you need legal assistance, please contact MILS at (231) 947-0122.