By Tribal Police Officer Abigail Shanahan
Halloween is coming! I remember as a kid loving to dress up and going trick or treating in our neighborhood. After trick or treating, I would go through all the candy and trade with my siblings for the best candy. Now, a lot of local business and churches host trick or treating So, the children don’t have to go house to house to trick or treat. This allows the children to be in a safe, local and controlled environment.
Below are some safety tips and a few safe, local trick-or-treating options.
- A responsible adult should accompany children
- Do not use masks, as this makes it hard for children to see what is going on around them, including seeing cars.
- Give children a flashlight, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bag, or give them a glow stick.
- Trick-or-treat at homes that you know and at homes that have a porch light on. If there are no lights on, don’t approach the home.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or vehicle.
- Do not eat anything that appears to have been opened or tampered with. If it is a homemade treat, do not eat unless you know the person giving it out.
- Look over your children’s treats before allowing them to eat them.
- Have fun and be safe. Happy Halloween from your Pokagon Tribal Police!
Safe Trick-or-Treating Options:
Fall Festival and Trunk or Treat
Hidden Acres | 50582 Pleasant St. Dowagiac, MI 49047
Saturday, October 19 | 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
free; $5 carnival after
200 N. Phelps St. Decatur, MI 49045
Saturday, October 19 | 9:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
Boo at the Zoo
Washington Zoo | 115 Lake Shore Dr. Michigan City, IN 46360
Saturday, October 19 | 11:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
$0–$5; should purchase tickets ahead of time
A-Mazing Acres | 18430 U.S Highway 12 Edwardsburg, MI 49112
Friday, October 25 | 5:00 p.m.–6:30 p.m.
Niles Safe Downtown Trick-or-Treat
333 N 2nd St. Suite 303 Niles, MI 49120
Saturday, October 26 | 4:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Hartford Bible Church | 65418 Red Arrow Hwy Hartford, MI 49057
Saturday October 26 | 1:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
Halloween Parade Trick-or-Treat
33 N. Thompson St. New Buffalo, MI 49117
Sunday, October 27 | 2:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m.
Cops & Goblins
Four Winds Field | 501 W South St. South Bend, IN 46601 (enter through Gate D)
Monday, October 28 | 5:00 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Dowagiac Édawat Trick-or-Treat
Dowagiac Édawat Village
Thursday, October 31 | 6:00 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Michigan Maritime Museum | 260 Dyckman Ave. South Haven, MI 49090
Thursday, October 31 | 4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
Downtown St. Joseph | 301 State St. Joseph, MI 49085
Thursday, October 31 | 4:30 p.m.–6:00 p.m.