Food Commodities Program

Return to Social Services main page

The Pokagon Band Food Commodities Program, developed in conjunction with the USDA and the Pokagon Band, provides nutritious food to qualified citizens. Hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. In an effort to better serve citizens, additional hours maybe arranged by appointment. Delivery is available to home-bound elders and to those in need. Members are encouraged to contact the Commodities Site Supervisor to arrange this service. The program is closed the last two days of each month for inventory.

The ECOS web ordering system allows tribal commodity food programs to pinpoint the day the shipment will arrive instead of having to order far in advance and having the 15-day window in which to receive the order. Members are encouraged to come in or call Commodities at (888) 281-1111 for more information or an application.

General requirements:

  1. Complete application.
  2. At least one member of your household must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized Indian tribe. You must have an enrollment card as documentation.
  3. You must live in the service area.
  4. You must meet the income guidelines based on household size as set forth by the USDA.
  5. You cannot receive food stamps and food commodities simultaneously. If you are currently receiving food stamps and wish to receive commodities instead you must first contact the DHS and have your food stamp assistance case closed.
  6. You must provide income documentation, this may include 3 current check stubs for all members of the household employed and 18 years of age or older. We also need documentation of SSI, pension, child support, stipends etc. If you are self-employed you may bring your tax form information. Other documentation may be required.
  7. Complete a zero income form if number 6 does not apply.


Please Note: There is a USDA regulation in regards to areas where the population exceeds 10,000. If you live in a city or town, area that exceeds this limit we are prohibited from serving you and must refer you to seek assistance through the Department of Human Services assigned to your County.

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of age, color, disability, political beliefs, national origin, race, religion or sex.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.