The Pokagon Band Language Program offers programs and classes for those interested in learning the Potawatomi language. Learn more about the language here.
Want to jump start your language learning?
Check out a few resources we provide or recommend to citizens:
- All Seasons Potawatomi Language Coloring Books
- Children’s Potawatomi Language Learning DVD’s (call L&C | $10/2-DVD set)
- Children’s Potawatomi Language Storybooks (call L&C | $10/6-book set)
- A Gathering is Happening Today book ($7.08)
- Macy Goes to the Stars book ($12.95 + shipping)
- Bodwewadmimwen Language App (download from below for free)
Bodwéwadmimwen Language App
We are no longer offering printed and bound sets of Jim Thunder books. But, they are available via the Forest County Potawatomi website: https://www.fcpotawatomi.com/products/
Bodéwadmi language learning resources:
- Utilize our first app called Bodwéwadmimwen to label everything in your home!
- Use this link https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bodw%C3%A9wadmimwen/id1068491469
Utilize our newest Mango Languages app to learn sentence structure and your introduction which is introduced in Chapter 1. Chapters 2, 3 & 4 will be released in the coming weeks!
- Use the link to download the Mango Languages app on your phone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mango-languages/id443516516
- Use this link to download the Mango Languages app to your computer: https://mangolanguages.com/available-languages/learn-potawatomi/
We also recommend you utilize our amazing online archival program created by our very own talented citizen and L&C Archivist, Blaire Topash-Caldwell. The online archival program is home to many language audio files, historical information and photos from our very own Potawatomi/Pokagon history.
- Use this link to begin exploring: https://wiwkwebthegen.com/
- If you do not already have an account, sign up is easy!
If you want to hear some old recording of Martin Wesaw or Julia Wesaw, check out this collection of recordings housed at the University of California, Berkeley online language library.
- Use this link to search the audio file library: https://cla.berkeley.edu/list.php
- Enter “Potawatomi: into the search field
- Click “Filter by Language- Potawatomi”
If you have access to Facebook, we have two interactive language pages for you to follow”
- Adult Learners are recommended to follow this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/529818590734230
- Household with Potawatomi Children are recommended to follow this page: https://www.facebook.com/penotheyek.bodwewadmimwen.1
It is our individual effort that contributes to the whole mission of learning and using our Bodéwadmi sound.
Who we are should be at the forefront of everything we do and it is our language that leads us in showing us who we have been, who we are, and who we will always be.
Migwėtth for all of your commitment that have taken us this far.