The overall mission of the Higher Education Assistance is to provide the supportive services necessary to encourage Pokagon tribal citizens to attain a certificate, vocational, undergraduate, graduate, and post graduate degree.
Easy Access Higher Education Forms:
- HEAP Application
- Direct Deposit Form
- HEAP Class Withdrawal Reimbursement Form
- PIE Fund Application
- PIE Fund Policy
Questions? Contact us: DOE.HEAP@PokagonBand-nsn.gov
College Internship Program
Pokégnek Bodéwadmik Department of Education offers an 8-week paid summer internship to college students who are looking to gain work experience in their field of study. Job placements will be in Dowagiac, Michigan and will typically run through June and July. Interns get to participate in a variety of experiences including cultural outings, community engagement, and career related training. Interns will also be given assistance for housing, clothing, and gas expenses. Must be a Pokagon Band citizen, full-time student, and at least 18 years old by June 1st.
Higher Education Assistance Program (HEAP)
Purpose: The Department of Education shall provide additional financial aid to eligible Pokagon Band citizens that are enrolled in higher education at an accredited institution. To apply for the Higher Education Assistance Program (HEAP), please submit the completed HEAP Application and all supporting forms as attachment to DOE.HEAP@PokagonBand-nsn.gov.
Timeframe: Any person who seeks to participate in the program, including current students, shall complete and submit to the
Department an application within 3-6 weeks before payment is due with your Educational Institution.
In addition to the completed application students must submit the following supporting documentation:
- Education/Reimbursement selected on Direct Deposit Form with proof of account (ex: voided check)
- proof applicant has applied for the current academic year's FAFSA. If not accepted by educational institution it is not required.
- Only required to submit "proof" once per academic year (ex: 2019-2020).
- copy of current of post-secondary unofficial transcript (within two weeks of application submission); first time applicant includes a copy of high school diploma, or General Equivalency Diploma
- copy of official class schedule listed out that includes the credit or unit hours from the Educational Institution
- Vocational provide course plans or lesson overview.
- copy of current lease, mortgage statement or other acceptable supporting documentation (if seeking housing
The student should submit their official billing statement from their Educational Institution to the
Department as soon as it is available.
Tuition and Fee Assistance
- Vocational degree: up to $6000/year - including required books and materials. Vocational programs are not eligible for Housing Assistance.
- Associate degree: $200 per credit/hour (Up to 18 credits)
- Bachelor's degree: $400 per credit/hour (Up to 18 credits)
- Graduate degree: $600 per credit / hour (Up to 15 credits)
- Post-Graduate degree: $800 per credit / hour (Up to 15 credits)
Student's assistance amount will be based on their unmet needs from their school bill. The maximum amount allotted is
Book Stipend Assistance
- Associate or Bachelor's degree - $150 per class (up to 6 classes)
- Grad. or Post-Grad. degree - $300 per class (up to 4 classes)
Student Housing Assistance
- $1,250/Per Semester for full-time students or
- $625/ Summer Semester for full-time students
- *Other housing eligibility requirements can be found in the Higher Education Assistance Program Policy.
Pokagon Indiana Education Fund (PIE Fund)
The PIE Fund is an assistance fund available for Pokagon Band Citizens to utilize at any public State of Indiana post-secondary educational institution. This program will cover in full: cost of attendance, books/materials, and student housing that is associated with the educational institution. However, payouts are made directly to the educational institutions only and this means that reimbursement or direct payment to applicants is not available under this program.
Eligible Indiana Colleges & Universities
- Ball State University – Muncie
- Indiana State University – Terre Haute
- Indiana University - All locations
- Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis – Indianapolis
- Ivy Tech Community College - All locations
- Purdue University - All locations and Global
- University of Southern Indiana – Evansville
- Vincennes University – Vincennes
Indiana Resources to find Trainings/Vocational/Trade Schools
- Indiana Department of Workforce Development - https://www.in.gov/dwd/
- INTraining - https://intraining.dwd.in.gov/ProgramLocation/ProgramSearchView
- WorkOne - https://www.in.gov/dwd/WorkOne/locations.html
For more information, contact your high school's guidance office, your college financial aid office, and the Pokagon
Band Department of Education (888) 330-1234.
Adela Galvan, College & Career Readiness Associate
Marisela Goodrich, Education Generalist
Department of Education
(269) 782-0887 or (888) 330-1234 Fax (269) 782-0985